Do you have a chipped or broken tooth? Do you want to cover a tooth that is discolored or misshapen? Dental crowns are the option for you.
Dental crowns can help you:
- Restore a broken or cracked tooth
- Protect a weak tooth from breaking
- Hold a dental bridge
- Protect a tooth after having a root canal
- Cover a dental implant
- Make a cosmetic enhancement
Dental crowns are caps that are shaped in the form of a natural tooth, with the purpose of restoring its shape and size. They can also strengthen it and enhance its appearance.
Types of Dental Crowns
Frisco dental crowns can be made out of different materials that vary in price and durability. Talk with your dentist about these options to see which one fits your needs best.
- Stainless steel crowns
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns
- Composite resin crowns
- All-ceramic or all-porcelain crowns
- Lithium disilicate crowns
The last option is the most common one as it has a more natural look to it and can perfectly substitute a natural tooth.
How Long Can a Dental Crown Last?
Even though dental crowns have an average lifetime, various factors as well as how well you care for them can influence their lifespan.
A dental crown can last somewhere between 6 to 14 years, depending on several factors.
The following factors can influence the life of a dental crown:
- Type of crowns: The quality of the material the dental crown is made of and how well is made can result in a shorter or longer lifespan.
- Dentist’s experience: The skills of your dentist and how apt they are in placing the crown is also a factor that can influence its lifespan.
- Tooth condition: How healthy the tooth is, and how much of the natural tooth is left also determines how long the crown will live.
- Dental care: If you use your teeth as tools, don’t brush and floss daily, and avoid going to the dentist for check-ups, then you can expect for your crown to last less than average.
- Bruxism: Grinding and clenching the teeth can make your crowns break. If you have this condition, then talk about it with your dentist and ask for a night guard that will protect your teeth.
Exceptional Dental Care from Parklane Family Dentistry
If you have any questions related to dental crowns, (or anything else!), you can always contact us at Parklane Family Dentistry.
We offer a wide range of dental services and treatments. Whether you need just a simple checkup or more advanced treatments, such as restorative dentistry or cosmetic care, you can find them at our practice.
Contact us today to request an appointment online and we will get back to you as soon as possible.